May 21th. 2019
- Temple ceremont Nganyarin begins at 6 PM at Pura Gunung Lebah, Jl. Raya Ubud, Campuhan. Location Pura Gunung Lebah, Ubud. … Gamelans composition will be played during the ceremony: Selonding by Bale Agung Ubud group. Angklung by Ubud Kaja. Lelambatan by Sebali Tegallalang group. Gong Gede by Taro Kaja Tegallalang. 8 PM onward: Special Performance: Calon Arang Sesuhunan Kedewatan Napak Pertiwi. Calonarang is a traditional play which is performed sacredly during rituals ceremony. It is considered as the sacred performance, which is only performed during Balinese rituals.The story is about a wicked widow lived in a small village, named Calon Arang. She was notoriously known as a black magic master who spread diseases and spelt over the crops to fail. …
- Temple ceremony “Nganyarin“ begins at 7 PM at Pura Payogan Agung, Jl. Raya Ketewel. Location Pura payogan Agung
Note: Please wear proper Balinese attire when you visit temple ceremony either for praying or just watching some traditional performances at the temple. If you want to take picture, please do not use flash and not to close to the people who are praying. Thank you.
Restaurant / Cafe Events :
- Movie Screening. 7:30 PM. at BetelNut, Jl. Raya Ubud.
- Live Music at 8 PM – onward. at Why Not Restaurant, Jl. Bisma 8, Ubud. Tel. +62 361 908 1601
- Live Music: Salsa, Bachata, Kizomba, 8:30 – 10 PM at The Onion Collective, Jl. Pengosekan, Ubud. Tel. +62 479 22 52
- Live Music at 7 PM – 10 PM. at Taco & Grill Ubud, Jl. Suweta 7, Ubud. Mobile: 081 338 733 726
- Live Music (Latin Band) at 9 PM onward. No Mas. Jl. Monkey Forest, Ubud. Tel. +62 361 9080 800, / 9080 880 / 9080 888
- Live Music (Pop Acoustic) at 8 PM – 11 PM. at Laughing Buddha Bali, Jl. Monkey Forest Ubud. Tel. +62 361 970 928 / +62 82 145 245 199
- Live Music at CP Lounge 9 PM – midnight. DJ Peformance: midnight til late. Jl. Monkey Forest 15, Ubud. Tel. +62 361 978954
Workshop – Community Events
- Morning Yoga. 7:30 AM and 9 AM at Swasti Cottage, Jl. Nyuh Bojog, Nyuh Kuning, Ubud. Tel. +62 361 974 079
- Jamu Workshop. 10 AM – 12 PM at USADA Bali Jl. Sugriwa 4, Padang Tegal, Ubud. Mobile: 0812-4689-1734
Learn how to make you own delicious Jamu, the ‘Obat’ traditional – the ancient Indonesian medicine – a delicious drink made of many healing ingredients and spices. Learn in details every steps : peeling, slicing, grating (pounding), roasting, squeezing, and mixing the ingredients, and bring that knowledge back home. The special recipes come from ancient knowledge that has been passed down from generation to generation. More about Jamu workshop …
- Balinese Dance Class. 1 PM at USADA Bali Jl. Sugriwa 4, Padang Tegal, Ubud. Mobile: 0812-4689-1734
In this 90-minute class, you will learn basic steps, hand gestures, and delicate eye movements, then move on gradually to actually practicing a classical dance.. More about Dance Class …
- Intro to Lontar & Ikat at USADA Bali at 7 – 8:30 PM *** Jl. Sugriwa 4, Padang Tegal, Ubud. Mobile: 0812-4689-1734 .
Join Balinese Lontar (Palm Leaf drawing) & Double Ikat (Weaving Technique) with Kadek & Ketut Ardita. Join this interactive and informative event and discover the ancestral Balinese techniques of Lontar (palm leaf etching) and double Ikat (weaving technique). During this workshop, you will learn to use the “Pengetupa” or special knife to draw on the palm leaves called “Rontal”. The meditative experience of creating Lontar art develops focus and dexterity and connects us with an ancient tradition of the island of Gods. More about this Event …
- Batik Class / Workshop at Widya Batik Class, Jl. Sriwedari, Tegallantang. Mobile: 081 797 64154
- Future Farmers Market. Starts at 8 AM , local plants, herbs, fruit and vegetables. Location: Joglo, Taman Kuliner, Jl. Raya Sanggingan, Kedewatan Ubud.
Name of Show / Venue / Time / Ticket Price
- Barong and Keris Dance / Padang Tegal Kaja / 7.30 PM
- Kecak Fire & Trance Dance / Padang Tegal Kelod / 7.30 PM
- Legong Dance / Balerung Stage / 7:30 PM
- Legong Dance / Pura Dalem Ubud / 7:30 PM / Rp 75.000,-
- Legong Telek / Arma Museum / 7:30 PM / Rp 80.000,- (special offer ticket + dinner = Rp 150.000,-)
- Narita Dewi Gamelan & Dance / Bale Banjar Ubud Klod / 7.30 PM
- Ramayana Ballet / Ubud Palace / 7:30 PM
- Ladies Orchestra & Dance Troupe / Saraswati Temple / 7:30 PM / Rp 80.000,-
- Wayang Kulit (Shadow Puppet) / Monkey Forest / 8:00 PM
Art Exhibitions :
- Solo Art Exhibition by Hidekazu Asano. May 4th. – 31st. May 2019. , at Agung Rai Museum, Ubud. Location ARMA Museum
- Group Art Exhibition “Art Chronicle” May 15th. June 15th. 2019 at Cilantro Art Space, Jl. Nyuh Kuning, Ubud.
- “Kawitan” Group Painting Exhibition, 10 AM – 6 PM. May 18th. – 28th. 2019 at Bentara Budaya Bali, Jl. Bypass IB Mantra 88, Ketewel – Gianyar. Location of Bentara Budaya Bali
- “ViewPoint” Painting Exhibition by Uuk Paramartha & Jango Paramartha, May 7th. – June 15th. 2019 at Maya Sanur Hotel, Sanur.
Special offers from the Restaurants and Cafes:
- Taco Tuesday at Velvet Mexican Cuisine – Sea Food & Grill, Buy one of our 8 Different Tacos & get 1 FREE Margarita! . Jl. Raya Lungsiakan 64, Ubud. Tel. +62 813 98 625 483. www.velvetbali.com
- Food Court with local price and free 3D Rooms for photos & Trick Selfie Spot at Alien Cafe/Wase Bali Jl. Raya Mas, Ubud (near Baby Statue, Sakah).
- Divine Hour 4 – 6 pm at bridges Bali, the most beautiful Wine & Cocktail Bar in Ubud. Jl. Raya Campuhan, Ubud. Tel. +62 361 970 095.
- Gluten Free Cafe and Deli, Healthy Snack at Taksu Galeria, Jl. Hanoman 33, Ubud. Tel. +62 361 479 2508.
Introducing our new multi level Galeria on Jalan Hanoman only a hundred meters from Taksu Spa. Our two level food court offers casual dining, garden fresh salads, house made soups and sandwiches, fresh sushi from our sushi bar and cold pressed juices. Our retail shopping floors feature unique cultural handicrafts from around the Indonesian archipelago including handmade textiles, artisan designer jewelry, carvings, glass and more. For a quick bite and drink visit our “Taksu to Go” outdoor take away kiosk. Map to Taksu Galeria …
Book of the Week presented by Ganesha Bookshop BALI SEKALA AND NISKALA by Fred Eiseman.
If you want to delve a little into really understanding Balinese culture then dip into this book by Fred Eiseman. Fred was a devoted gatherer of facts and had an intense desire to share his knowledge with those that fell under the spell of Bali. This book is a collection of essays exploring the tangible and intangible, what we see and what we don’t see, in the realms of Balinese religion, ritual, performing arts and much more. What we see is a colorful world of ceremony, ritual dance and drama. And the Niskala is the doctrine underlying the pageants, the rites and the magic of the arts. For a deeper understanding of what is going on around you – dive into this book.
Ganesha Book Shop, Corner Jl. Raya & Jl. Jembawan, Ubud & Jl. Danau Tamblingan 42, Sanur.
About Bali time: We are offering you the approximate starting time in our events sections. But you are in Bali and our time is rubber band time. Some events are on time but village ceremonies may be more variable. Priests are often the one to say when to begin the ceremony. When you see the Balinese waiting… it’s because they are waiting for the priest to show up from other ceremonies. Sometimes an event we list is cancelled. The good news is that this is rare, but we believe your experience will be valuable.